Friday, July 20, 2012

baby peepers for baby rathbun

I get really excited when my friends get pregnant. I love little toes and chubby cheeks. I also love making gifts for the tiny tots. I, however, do not love showers of any kind- wedding, bridal, baby- not fun. So when I was 'invited' to my bud, Catherine Rathbun's virtual baby shower, I was pumped. No awkward silences, no weird dips and NO silly games. Her sister and some friends figured that because most of Catherine's friends are out of towner's and she already has tons of adorable and functional stuff from her first born- precious baby Mabel they would have her friends send gifts during one week in July. How fun is it to get packages in the mail?! What a great idea.

Catherine and Todd are avid art collectors of the one and only Dan Sheets. So I figured I could pull a few strings and have him help me execute a sweet idea I had to add some color and fun in to the baby's nursery- collage of birds. 

I went out thrifting to find different sized and shaped frames. These are what I found...

I laid them out on a bare mattress (gross) at the thrift store to see how they would all work together- fabulous!

 Then, I put Sheets to work. We figured out the colors and what birds we wanted to include in the frames based on a photo of some of the decor she has in the room.
 
 
The end result!

It couldn't have turned out better. I was so happy with every drawing that I could not choose which one I liked the best. Oh yeah, and I spray painted all the frames white to make them cohesive and girly.


Some detail shots below so that you can decide if you have a favorite:






I received this adorable photo last night of Mabel posing with the new art in the nursery. She is the cutest!

I hope baby Rathbun (Penny Lou! Penny Lou? Penny Lou! Come on Catherine, it's the best!) enjoy's the birds as much as we enjoyed making them. I can't wait to meet her!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those are great! I would have a hard time chosing a favorite as well!