Tuesday, March 26, 2013

the mirror I dreamed of

Here is the story of how I got a really great deal on a large leaning mirror but I never quite loved it...until now! 

So I got this mirror about 4 years ago for like $25 or $30...really inexpensive for a mirror this large. It's original finish was pewter- I did not like it. I painted it antique white, it was nice but not my favorite. So over the last 4 years this mirror has been antique white, really bad blue grey (not the color I intended), really bright school bus yellow (again, not intended) and then finally back to white, but this time bright white. Still, not my favorite. 

(grey blue-blah!)

(yellow- yikes!)

 (white-it's fine)

You see, the mirror had this underlying "swirly" design on the frame and it pissed me off because I don't like "swirly" things. 

("swirls"- I just threw up in my mouth)

So I had an idea about a year ago to somehow inlay wood on the frame, but then I got lazy and then I couldn't find the right sized wood and then I just got lazy again. 

But recently, I've had some extra time on my hands and before I got out of bed one morning it came to me: we have plywood laying around, we have a jigsaw that I have no idea where it came from, we have stain that we used to make frames for dan's art and we have wood glue....I got this.

So, I got to it. I cut the plywood into strips with the jigsaw (super fun), fitted them, stained them and then glued them.
 
 cut 
(where did this glorious tool come from?)

 fit

 more fitting

 stain


Then the mirror finally turned into this:
!!!!!!!!

 (detail of stained plywood)

Isn't she pretty?! It is rustic but modern and those damn "swirls" are gone. Our bedroom is pretty rad now, I look at the mirror a lot and I'm glad that I decided not to be lazy. I want to cut more things with the jig saw, we will see what happens next!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Love!