Thursday, June 7, 2012

baby shower for the birthday boy

Doaky Bear turned 1 today, I can't believe he's already a year old. It freaks me out when time goes by so quickly. Maybe I should make this blog strictly about Doak. Maybe I should have my own baby? Maybe I'll just write about the baby shower our fabulous friend Cameron Poindexter and I threw for Melissa last year. Yeah, I think I'll stick with that for now.

We went with a super casual, bring a dish, alcohol and boys allowed kind of event and it was so much fun. Here are some photos of the decorations and gifts for Doak that I crafted.

Simple and cute E-vite.

 Tissue paper pom poms and paper flags and dots on the mantle.


 Left over quilt fabric [more on that later] used to make fabric flags for the back deck.

Larger tissue paper pom poms and more paper dots and birds. Everyone brought a dish- it worked out really nice and kept costs down.
 Back deck decorations- balloons, flags, birds, photo booth sign.

 
 Melissa always has a camera in her hands, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to have a "photo booth" set up so she could enjoy tons of photos of her guest's without having to take them.

I made a back drop with fabric and carried the decor from the rest of the house to add some color and details. I got some cheap props for fun- pinwheels, bubbles, and hula hoops. We set up our camera on a tripod and just had someone snapping the shots. The photo booth was a big hit.

Me and Melis
The shower was a blast!


Now, on to the gifts- Melissa had a vision for Doak's nursery and it turned out amazing. [click the link to see the whole room] 

Melissa was my first friend to get knocked up and live in the same city that I live in. So that meant I was going to get to see this little guy grow up and I learned lots of weird lady stuff by being around for the pregnancy too [double bonus]. Anyways, I wanted to make a special gift for Doak. She had tons of discontinued fabric samples that she acquired from our previous job at Model Home Interiors and she wanted to make a colorful modern quilt with the samples. At the time, I don't think Melis had ever really used a sewing machine and I know how to sew a straightish line, so I figured I would give it a go and make the quilt for her. It turned out really lovely and it wasn't that hard, just like sewing a pillow really.

The quilt hanging off the crib.

 
 I took it a little further and made a sweet bird with the scraps. 

And lastly, Dan and I came up with these kitty sculptors so Doak could have some art of his brothers and sisters in his room with him. Yeah, I just refered to their cats as brothers and sisters and I consider Xena our daughter. Hmm, maybe I should have a baby... but until then, here is a pretty cute photo of the Birthday Baby [and his sister]!

Happy Birthday, buddy!




1 comment:

Davis said...

You should have a baby :) And I'm going to go ahead and claim one of those quilts for my future bambinos!!