Tuesday, June 12, 2012

quick fix : painted night stand

I have been on the hunt for a night stand for several weeks and I have had no luck. The night stand was for a guest room that was turning into a pretty special retreat. I needed it to be a painted, antique looking piece to compliment the rest of the room. I don't like to get everything from one store and I don't like furniture to look too "matchy." I like the space to look and feel like the client but with the style and details that only a designer could create.

So after several weeks I went into the Salvation Army to see what I could turn into a treasure. I wanted something with good bones and interesting design details that I could transform into the perfect night stand for the room. This is what I found....

 Not a beauty, but I loved the legs, the pulls and the inset on the drawers. It was $30 so I new I could make it work.

 Here she is after a couple of coats of paint- brand new and perfect for the room.

 I sanded some of the edges to give it a little more of a distressed look.

 There she is- living in her new home. Just precious.
 As I said earlier the room has transformed into a pretty special retreat. The quilt and the pillow cases were made by the clients grandmother, the painting done by his daughter and there is an antique wardrobe from his family's collection.

 An outdoor chair that I found in the basement, the client had plans of refinishing this chair but there is nothing I love more than a rusty, chipped chair. It added color and interest into an otherwise boring and empty corner.

 Wood inlay on the lovely wardrobe that was hanging out in the basement as well- collecting dust.

I really love how the nightstand complimented the room perfectly. It was worth the wait.

p.s. I will be adding more photos of this guest room along with the complete design project very soon. It is almost complete!

No comments: