Thursday, September 13, 2012

design : transformation- before and afters!

I have been working on this project casually for the last 6 months or so. I finally finished up with the rooms and I think they turned out really great.

FOYER

Shall we begin at the beginning...the rug was too large, the art was too small and the table was too cluttered and needed updated. 

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

Found a new rug, hung some sentimental photos in old family farm barn frames, updated the table and simplified the accessories.

AFTER!

AFTER!

I also added a gorgeous antique oak mirror I found at Class and Trash to make the space feel larger and to do a last minuet look before leaving the house.

AFTER!

AFTER!


DINING ROOM

Salmon walls needed to go, too much wood and too stark.

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

Toned down the pinks, added cream linen drapes and upholstered host and hostess chairs to soften all the wood and break it up a little bit with out buying a whole new dining table or chair set.

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

I also detached the glass/wood hutch from this console to really open up the room. I found this great wine rack on etsy!

AFTER!

AFTER!


KITCHEN

Not much changed here, just painted the walls the same as the dining room and living room and updated the rugs.

BEFORE:

AFTER!

LIVING ROOM:

Where do I even begin- this living room was a bit of a cluster *$#!. Swag burgundy and sage drapes-NO. Huge rug with every awful color combo you could imagine- NO. Light pink walls- NO. Very traditional cocktail/end tables- NO. See for yourself...

 BEFORE:

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

So here is how I saved the room with out spending a fortune on all new things. Took up the huge rug and replaced it with a much smaller square neutral rug to frame the seating area and make the space feel larger. Had the walls painted a warm light grey, added simple drapes and some pillows. I brought in an existing table he already owned for the cocktail table and bought a new end table to coordinate. 

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

 HALLWAY:

Messy shelves...

BEFORE:

I rearranged some of his art and added a partially closed table with storage drawers and a basket for books and such. It also now houses/displays his Edison Phonograph.

AFTER!

Hung some of his daughters lovely art of his son out in the empty hall.

AFTER!


GUEST BATHROOM:

Needs personality... and less pink.

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

I took down the "builder's standard" mirror and added one I found at home goods, added some art he already owned,  new shower curtain, white rugs and towels and a fantastic little rusty table he had in the basement.

AFTER!

AFTER!

AFTER!

GUEST BEDROOM:

Not super welcoming and again...pink.

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

(The table I put in the living room for the cocktail table- we had to cut the legs so that it would be a cocktail height- took 10 minuets)

BEFORE:

I love this room so much. It is so bright and inviting. I had the walls painted a very very pale blueish grey, got some new white linen drapes, new bedding and throw pillows, a rug and a nightstand. Had dan whip up some art for me and pulled some more of his daughters art out of the closet. 

AFTER!

AFTER!

This rusty green chair was also in the basement- I love rusty chairs.

AFTER!

This amazing family wardrobe was in the basement- I had to use it in here.

AFTER!

AFTER!

Added a mirror collage to bring more light in to the room.

AFTER!

Family quilt and new rug from home goods.

AFTER!

This project was so much fun. My client was the ideal client- he didn't have a timeline and he trusted me completely. I took my time hunting for great/unique items and I think it really paid off.

No comments: